Search No Faint Hearts

Loading...

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Librarian Confessions

Librarian confession time!
{Guess who got her very own library card, then won a gift basket from the library?}

I read Revolutionary Road this week. {Not the best title to read when you're down in the dumps, btw. Thank goodness I also had Jesus Feminist on hand for encouragement--review coming soon.}

Anyway, I had only heard of the book in relation to the movie and assumed it was published recently. I picked it up in the $1 section of Half-Price Books because I always want to read the book first. After I finished, I looked it up on Wikipedia {as you do} and saw a Tennessee Williams quote praising the book.

Outraged that some sloppy Wikipedia editor let this false quote slip by {since Tennessee Williams was clearly long gone by the time the book was published}, I clicked over to edit it away. Then I noticed there was also a quote from Kurt Vonnegut.

Thank goodness it gave me enough of a red flag to double check the publication date before saving my edit {with the snarky "removed falsely attributed quote" note}.

Publication date? 1961.

Who knew? Obviously not Mrs. McBookworm.

I totally had to go back and rethink the book, too, because I'd been viewing it as one that was written kind of in retrospective, but it was actually describing its current time.

So, yes, I've moved on to Thunderstruck {LOVE Erik Larson} and Jesus Feminist by Sarah Bessey.

What are you reading?


And, sidenote, does anyone else feel like you kinda sorta have it together at the beginning of the week, then, by Friday, you're all living like feral cats? Surely it's not just us. ;)

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous10/11/2013

    Meow!
    Happy days.
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea what feral cats you're talking about :) I just wish they would stop meowing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nearly spit my water with the "feral cats" question! Oh, dear one, you are absolutely not alone! The miracle sometimes is that it might take until Friday...there are weeks that it feels like the wheels are off by Tuesday. The good thing about all the dust, dishes, laundry? It will wait. And wait. The toddler years are so busy, and I think I felt exhausted much of the time. Whatever you do, avoid the snare of compare -- those people that look like they have it all together and whose kids' never seem to drool...trust me, they are struggling too. Love that Miss C got her library card! Wishing you have a fun, restful weekend with your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha--so true! I definitely struggle with comparing, but I try to remember that everyone's life situation is different. We are where we are right now, and we're doing all we can do--and it's OK if other people can handle more and can handle it more gracefully. :P
      Have a fun weekend yourself!

      Delete
  4. A little bookworm in training! :)
    I feel like I've barely been reading this week because I've been so busy with work. I am looking forward to catching up with my books this weekend. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she loves books--hooray! Hoping to continue that. Good luck catching up on your reading!

      Delete

I'll respond to comments within 24 hours, so check the post again for follow-ups!

Read from the beginning...