Search No Faint Hearts

Loading...

Friday, August 16, 2013

Inside Scoop on PhD Life and Quirky Libraries

Guess who has discovered the Teletubbies in our house?


The summer break was just what I needed for school. Now that I've gotten caught up at work, I'm excited about starting again this fall. {And I can type school-related sentences without hyperventilating...always a good sign.}

These PhD problems just cracked me up--many are, sadly, true.

I've heard of public libraries checking out all kinds of things, but checking out people is a new one. Would you want to be checked out?

I commented on Iliana's site that the librarians in my library go out to talk with classes, so we are sort of checked out to professors. It's one of our favorite things to do!

Another favorite thing at work this week has been LibGuides. We've dabbled with them before, but we're planning to go all in this fall. I've been working on four this week, and I'm hooked. Fellow librarians--do you use them in your library? Any tips or success stories?

And, Seattle Public Library, I love your bike program. You just keep getting better in my book. {See what I did there?} ;)

Finally, every Friday, I think this is the weekend I will finish The Portrait of a Lady. Maybe this one really is! Hope to have a review for you soon.

I also forgot to mention, in yesterday's post, Practicing the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence. {Thanks for the reminder, Ms. Leah!} It talks about the idea of a constant, ongoing communion with God in day-to-day life, and I can't recommend it enough. Made a huge difference in how I viewed prayer.

In the meantime, what are you reading this week?

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous8/16/2013

    Just finished 33 Days To Morning Glory, which is about trying to follow Christ as closely, love Him as tenderly, and live in holy joyful obedience as His Mother did. Now, for brain candy, Justice for Sara by Erica Spindler. It's about a girl seeking justice for her murdered sister. SHE was the primary suspect in the murder, and has now returned to their hometown to find the real murderer.
    Happy days of pleasant reading.
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh--that sounds intriguing!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous8/19/2013

    Oh, and over the week-end I just finished Three Good Things, a first novel by Wendy Francis. It was just excellent. I love sister-relationship stories. That was the foundation of this novel, but there were SO many other interesting themes...first time motherhood, fast-track jobs... balancing priorities...being able to let go...baking...architecture. Ms .Francis interwove everything masterfully. And every character was engaging in his own way...well, except for maybe one. (And I felt sorry for her because she was the kind of person who lives her life headed for a train wreck, and just doesn't see it coming.) It was just a REALLY good story.
    Happy Days!
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation! I have a feeling I'm going to be more interested in sister-stories in upcoming years. :)

      Delete
  3. I showed the PhD problems to Dave and he thought they were apt and hilarious! And I love the idea of a Books on Bikes program -- how awesome. I would be totally interested in a checking out a person and, if anyone wanted to hear about my life as a stay at home mom, I would be willing to be checked out. How cool to be able to say, "I'm a library book with a catalogue number and everything!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hadn't thought about being cataloged! I wonder what number I would be. :P

      Delete

I'll respond to comments within 24 hours, so check the post again for follow-ups!

Read from the beginning...