Search No Faint Hearts

Loading...

Friday, May 10, 2013

Weekend Reading

My, my, my--there was a lot of good reading {and listening} around the Internet this week!

In case you missed any, here are a few {ok, a bunch} of links worth perusing and one fun library illustration...
{via http://thisisindexed.com}

On Mothers...
Bas Bleu had a fun take on literary mothers.

A short but powerful essay from NPR's Audie Cornish related to the "choices" mothers have to work or stay home. {Hint: for many of us, it's not so much a "choice" as the necessity to keep food on the table.} This really resonated with our situation right now.

The difficulty of Mother's Day in church and a response.
Having spent nine years going to church when I was neither a mother nor had a mother here to celebrate, I can attest to how difficult, awkward, and/or painful this day can be--particularly in church services. I pray that our church and others will achieve that delicate balance this Sunday.

On Abortion...
This article from Rachel Held Evans is one of the best I've read. It articulates the struggle that so many of us have to maintain a consistent pro-life ethic from conception to death. {There is a nice response here, too.} I have prayed {and will continue to pray} about ways to help with so many of these BIG issues that absolutely grieve my heart. This little blog doesn't seem big enough to have a discussion like this, but I would be happy to chat further if you're interested!

On Veganism...
Two recent Think podcasts dealt with food and reinforced my commitment to this vegan way of life. Don't be scared--neither of the authors interviewed were even vegetarians! But these podcasts will encourage you to think about what you eat and why. Always a good thing. :)

On Home Stuff...
Mrs. Gore's Diary is a new favorite blog for me. She always manages to make me both laugh and think, and this post was no exception. It lines up with a lot of things I've been working on at home lately {especially with nesting!}.

So, what's on your reading list this weekend? Any good stuff around the Internet that I've missed?

2 comments:

  1. You need to do more post of "Things To Read." I really enjoyed reading a lot of these. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I feel like it is part of my job as a librarian. :P

      Delete

I'll respond to comments within 24 hours, so check the post again for follow-ups!

Read from the beginning...