Search No Faint Hearts

Loading...

Monday, August 06, 2012

Overachieving on the Internet

A couple of recommendations for those of you who might be thinking about some of the same things I am these days.

This article sums up why I'm not on Pinterest. {"Hey look! A perfectly adequate cake!"}

I have a hard enough time with "homey" blogs {that's their category in my Google Reader}. If I spend too much time dwelling on and pinning all of the awesome things other people are doing {or what I perceive they're doing}, I start to feel that every meal, every outfit, every interaction, every day has to be Internet-worthy. And it's OK to have just a day...just an ordinary day. {That Vanessa Carlton can straight up play the piano, right?}

On a similar note, Jason and I have already started thinking about what kind of stuff {sports, music, classes, etc.} Catherine could be involved in. Yes, she's only six months old, but this stuff starts early! And it all seems like such.a.big.deal sometimes.

We still have a lot of thinking, talking, and praying on this because there seems to be a tension between encouraging kids to develop and investing in their strengths but not pushing them too much. For instance, it's not really important to us that she become an Olympian, but it is important to us that she does something other than watch television and eat Oreos all day.

Surely there is an acceptable middle ground. ;)

So here we have an article and a podcast talking about that middle ground. {Seriously, I cannot recommend Think enough. I think Krys Boyd and I would be BFFs in real life. jk...kinda.}

Anyway, just a few quick links for those of you who struggle, like me sometimes, with feeling like you're doing all you can do, but it's never enough and for those of you who want to make sure your daughter knows that she is ALWAYS enough.



I'm so incredibly thankful that my Father invites me--His daughter--to come to Him when I'm weary and burdened, and He will give me rest. I can learn from Him because He is gentle and humble in heart, and I find rest for my soul.

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous8/06/2012

    Oh, Tiffany, just love her. Soon enough Miz C. will begin to unfurl herself like a little flower. You'll notice her preferences and all the things which particularly delight her. Then, just take it from there. There is so much wisdom in God's creation. To every thing there is a season and a time under Heaven. If you pray, "Lord, who did You create Catherine to be?" He will never fail to show you. He knows her heart better than SHE will because He created her. Never fear. He will show her in what ways she will best glorify Him. And the fact that He has given you and Mr. Jason such a grace of concern for her indicates that the Master has everything well in hand.
    Happy days and be at peace. You'll do the right thing in the proper time.
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful thought, and I love that prayer! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. My husband and I have the same conversations. Because how scheduled do our kids need to be anyways. We have identified a few key areas and make sure our activities focus on those areas. For us it's faith, family, music and being active. If an activity takes too much away from faith or family we just don't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I totally agree. How can we step away from the notions of what we SHOULD be doing and SHOULD have our kids do and just let them be while also holding them to high expectations?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's such a difficult line! I really enjoyed your post as well!

      Delete
  4. I've never got involved in Pinterest, it just seems one more thing to suck up my time. She'll soon develop and show you what she's interested in. Just introduce her to things when you can. My 18 month old granddaughter is showing interest in gymnastics and so her mom may sign her up for that, but for fun and development not competition. I started reading to her when she was just a few weeks old and she still loves books. Natasha has a good focus point for their family.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya on Pinterest! That's pretty much our philosophy as well on introducing things to her...even that is selective, though. (We're never going to be able to introduce her to hockey, for instance--ha!)

      Delete
  5. I love Pinterest but its fashion blogs that I just can't handle! I like to think of myself as well dressed but seriously? I have a baby dude I can't be wearing a crisp white ironed shirt with heels. Eff no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I have just a handful that I read now that I also find helpful {read: shopping my closet}. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

I'll respond to comments within 24 hours, so check the post again for follow-ups!

Read from the beginning...