Search No Faint Hearts

Loading...

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Feeling Like a Million Dollars...

...without spending a dime.

{forgive the tp in the background as well as the ironing board that is apparently a piece of furniture in our house now}

Anyway, this is, hands down, my favorite skirt. Ann Taylor, wool, lined. Fits like a dream. I feel like I could take over the world every time I put it on. And it was free {along with the sweater set}.

I picked them up at a seminary clothing exchange a few years ago. In fact, I haven't had a clothing budget since we came to seminary and can count on one hand the new outfits I've bought since then {counting maternity clothes, but excluding shoes that wear out like crazy}.

Through things like the clothing exchange, gifts, and loans from friends, God has been so gracious to provide for our clothing needs. {And for Catherine's--we haven't had to buy that child a single item of clothing, and she'll be six months old tomorrow.}

Sometimes it's been tough, but mostly it's been really refreshing.

I read Seven by Jen Hatmaker this week {review is percolating}, and in one of her months, she wore just seven items of clothing. Not ready to go down that path just yet, but I really liked one thing she said...

Clothes used to define me when my genuine identity was fuzzy. When I didn't know who I was or what I was here for, I dressed like someone who did. I dolled up the container, but I'm learning that I'm really just a jar of clay. Because that was all I was ever supposed to be.

For a long time, I over-emphasized the importance of clothes in my life {and budget}. I've become a big believer in buying second hand {cheaper, yes, but also more environmentally-friendly}. I want the pieces I purchase in the future to be few, classic rather than trendy, well-made, and reflective of me--not just on sale at Target or to impress anyone else.

Obligatory disclaimer: of course, there's nothing inherently wrong with enjoying and experimenting with clothes. I follow a handful of fashion blogs and will probably forever drool over Kate Spade goods.

But there's a line that I crossed at some point where money that should have gone to other things was going to clothes. And, through straightened circumstances, God called me on it. I'm so grateful He did, and I'm so grateful that our heavenly Father knows what I need.

And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you--you of little faith? So do not worry, saying...'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

5 comments:

  1. Great post. I didn't realize you were at the seminary. I used to make most of my clothes when I was a teenager and was very conscious of what I wore when I worked in London. Fort Worth is so much more casual than working in a big city.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely--that's one of the things we enjoy about Fort Worth! I would LOVE to be able to make my own clothes. Maybe in a different season of life I'll learn to sew. :)

      Delete
  2. Anonymous7/18/2012

    What a glorious thing it is to be able to delight in beautiful things without the need to possess them all. How truly free it makes us.
    Happy Days, Tiffany.
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this idea--thank you!

      Delete
  3. Anonymous7/19/2012

    To share a thought the Lord placed in my mind many years ago in my prayer time:

    "If you can not give up something readily, you do not own it. It owns you."

    Happy philosophical days, Tiffany!
    Leah

    ReplyDelete

I'll respond to comments within 24 hours, so check the post again for follow-ups!

Read from the beginning...