Search No Faint Hearts

Loading...

Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Baby's First Fourth


I've been struggling for awhile with the idea of nationalism--particularly in church. While I'm still uncomfortable with how many American Christians seem to link God and country {or God and their personal politics}, I wonder if I sometimes shy too far in the opposite direction.

Because nationalism seems to be so prevalent in American Christianity, I find myself being really cautious about making any "Yea America" kinds of comments. I don't want people to think I've forgotten that I, first and foremost, follow someone whose kingdom is not of this world.

But I was thinking this week about how I'm not hesitant to sing "Yea Alabama." No one {I hope} thinks I'm putting allegiance to my football team ahead of my allegiance to Christ. I love Alabama football, and I love America. Despite our {many, many, many} problems, I'm still happy to live here, to raise my kiddo here, and to serve Christ here.

So I knocked the chip off my shoulder this morning and sat my little ones down for a good ol' first Fourth photo shoot.




 {Well, Catherine's first...Fred's 10th...wow.}


I have a feeling that the rest of today's celebrations will be pretty low-key, as the fireworks all start much later than C's bedtime, but we'll still grill out, have fun, and celebrate our country.

What are your plans for today?

4 comments:

  1. Adorable pictures. We decided not to take the babies out - the loud bangs and all the smoke in the air probably isn't too good for them along with this heat.
    Happy 4th.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! Maybe next year...or in a few years. :)

      Delete
  2. Totally agree on the somewhat sketchy "connection" between nationalism and church. We love our country and are thankful to live here (with all the good, bad, and ugly), but that doesn't mean worship of our God should ever be tainted by worship of our country. Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm always nervous about saying that, but it's gotten to a point that it really, really bothers me. Happy Fourth to your family!

      Delete

I'll respond to comments within 24 hours, so check the post again for follow-ups!

Read from the beginning...