Search No Faint Hearts

Loading...

Monday, July 02, 2012

10 Books That Influence My Parenting


Two posts in one day? Crazy, I know! ;)

But I was super excited to see the topic for today from Sarah Bessey: 10 Books That Influence My Parenting. I needed some recommendations, so there are several new additions to the to-be-read list!
I've read a fair amount of books on parenting, but I'm always on the lookout for more. 

Here are a few that I liked:

The Spiritual Growth of Children by Kurt Bruner, John Trent, and Rick Osborne
I read this one for a class before kids were even on the horizon for us, but I thought it did a great job of explaining how to teach them about God {without the oh-so-awkward home devotionals}. It divides ideas into age ranges and includes all sorts of ways to incorporate your faith into your parenting.

Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp
Several of the parents at the school where I worked in Alabama recommended this book. I love the idea of addressing the heart-issue behind the behavior, rather than just correcting the behavior itself. With the exception of how to discipline, I found this to be a great resource for us. He advocates spanking, and Jason and I don't plan to use physical punishment {spanking, etc.} with our kids. But, as with a lot of these, you can take what you like and leave the rest, right?

Cinderella Ate My Daughter by Peggy Orenstein
When I found out we were having a girl, I was actually really nervous! Boys just seemed easier somehow! I know that's not true, but I think part of that impression came from the discomfort I feel about the whole princess culture. Peggy Orenstein helped me take a deep breath, better understand the issues, and feel a bit more prepared to address it all when the time comes. I still have A LOT of concerns about the things I see in the entertainment industry like the overdependence on yet disrespect of men, the inherent materialism, and the push for girls to be "grown up" at younger and younger ages. But that's another post for another day.

The Five Love Languages of Children by Gary Chapman and Ross Campbell
The Five Love Languages has been a big help in our marriage, and I enjoyed seeing how it translated to kids as well. Jason and I are both big on physical touch, but he really values quality time, while I swoon over acts of service. It will be interesting to see what fills up Miss C's love bank. 

The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems by Tracy Hogg and Melinda Blau
This was a good book for a "middle person" like me. Several friends had recommended the controversial On Becoming Baby Wise, and it seemed like an equal number had advocated burning it. :) I found a few of its practices helpful but its tone somewhat harsh. Even early on, though, I was really eager to get C on a pretty consistent routine {especially regarding overnight sleep} for her sake and ours. There was no way I could let her "cry it out," but I also knew co-sleeping wasn't for us either. So I liked The Baby Whisperer a lot for hitting a nice balance between attachment parenting and BabyWise-ing. {Isn't verbifying fun?}

Baby Sign Language Basics by Monta Briant
We had no idea babies could learn to sign so early, but Monta Briant suggests starting from the beginning. What harm can it do, right? And it's fun! We consistently sign several things with C {hi, milk, change, dirty, bath, I love you}, and she seems to be picking it up slowly but surely. She doesn't do much yet, but we think she's trying {and we hope she's understanding even more}.

Living With Kids and Dogs Without Losing your Mind by Colleen Pelar
After nine years as an only child, I knew Fred would have a bit of an adjustment {understatement} when C arrived on the scene. This one gave us good information about preparing him to "say hello to the baby" and to reorient to his new role. There have been challenges, sure, but he's done great with her so far. And she is really starting to notice him {and laugh at his antics} these days. I hope they'll be good pals as they get older.

Bringing Up Bebe by Pamela Druckerman
This was my most recent read, and I enjoyed it so much! Kind of like The Baby Whisperer, it portrayed a nice mix of a few different parenting styles. We'll definitely be doing some things a la francaise {and hopefully teaching la petite a bit of French vocabulary along the way}.

Well, I couldn't even come up with 10, so you can see why I needed recommendations! OK, your turn. :)

1 comment:

  1. I have read some of these books and they really where a great help. Especially now that I am a father myself.

    ReplyDelete

I'll respond to comments within 24 hours, so check the post again for follow-ups!

Read from the beginning...