Search No Faint Hearts

Loading...

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Where Does the Weekend Go?

So I had plans to link up with Kelly's Korner {a new-to-me blog} and show you my kitchen this weekend.

But I had trouble finding time to sit down and write. {And, honestly, the kitchen hasn't changed that much since this post, but we'll get to that in a minute. Two posts in one for you today!}

Since I went back to work, in fact, I've had trouble finding time to do much of anything outside of the "normal" weekend to-dos. So, this past weekend, like any good list-maker, I wrote down what I did to see if I could identify any problem areas and solutions.

I'll spare you the list, but I was {pleasantly} surprised that I'm not just being lazy! Saturday was filled with alternating between cleaning/laundry and feeding/hanging out with the baby (no joke--6:30 a.m.-8:30 p.m.). On Sundays, we're generally gone from about 8 in the morning until 2 in the afternoon (church, lunch, groceries), and I try to reserve Sunday afternoons for Skyping with family. Before you know it, Sunday is over, too. It's all necessary {in my mind, anyway} and mostly fun, but that schedule leaves very little time for interesting house projects or {gasp!} catching a nap.

There are a few things I'm going to try: laundry on Friday nights and grocery shopping some other time(?), for instance.

But help me out here! Do any of you have tricks for getting all your to-dos accomplished but still finding time to relax or play on the weekends?

OK, back to the kitchen. :)

It's hard to see in this picture, but one change is the drawing on the wall {by the talented Ronnie Riner}. I had spotted it at our favorite bookstore when we were home for Thanksgiving and mentioned it to my dad. He sweetly brought it to us when Catherine was born. We have a lot of red in the kitchen, and it is a mostly black-and-white drawing with red apples that just pop. {And isn't Fred cute down there?}


We've also cleaned off the bar top a bit. It becomes a catch-all during the week for bibs, mail, etc., but we try to keep it fairly empty.

We've added the bottle-drying rack, a fun red Keurig {also courtesy of Dad}, and a grocery/menu list on the pantry door. {Still looking for something to go over the pantry.}


We've also expanded our {ok, my} magnet collection. My favorites include the ones I've made--the blue boots, for instance--the one of Fred via Shutterfly, and our Schoolhouse Rock collection.

Emily asked about my cookbook collection. It's actually a lot smaller than it used to be! We cleared out as much as possible when we were moving, and I realized I had a lot of cookbooks that I never used {sorry, Martha Stewart}.
I kept the ones that were special to me {like this one from home} and the ones that I use a lot {seriously, the Sweet Potato Queens have some of my all-time favorite recipes}. My slow-cooker cookbooks are in pretty frequent rotation, and I have a couple of hand-written cookbooks from family and friends that I treasure!

OK, let's talk! Your favorite cookbooks? Tips for time management {especially when you try to cram everything into the weekends}?

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6/14/2012

    All the Paula Deen's. The old stand-by Better Homes and Gardens, old and new editions, the Silver Palate Cookbook author's healthy cooking edition (can't remember the name.) And Tiffany, if you ever have to take desserts to a church supper, I just got a new recipe for dump cake. I haven't tried it, but the appeal for me is everything gets dumped in a 9x13. No bowls to clean (and by "clean" I mean first I scrape out as much batter as I can and devour it) therefore no temptation to my ginormous sweet tooth, and no bowls to clean up. I thought it might be something you'd like to have (busy Mom and all) but didn't want to send it if it would be too tempting with your new food regime. If you'd like it, let me know. Kitchen's So cute!!!
    Happy Days!
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I would love the recipe! My sister-in-law makes a great dump cake, and they always look so simple!

      Delete

I'll respond to comments within 24 hours, so check the post again for follow-ups!

Read from the beginning...