Search No Faint Hearts

Loading...

Friday, June 22, 2012

In Which I Recommend Reading

You know when you find a blog you really like, and you have to go back through and read all the archives too? {Please tell me someone else does that!}

Well, I've been doing that this week with Sarah Bessey, and I've officially moved from really liking to loving her writing! It's as if she has some kind of secret messaging system going on with my brain and heart, and then she writes down what I think and feel more beautifully than I ever could.

I keep catching myself saying "Yes!" and "Amen to that!" and wanting to quote entire blog posts to Jason. She talks about faith and mothering and takes lovely pictures {and starts all of her posts with "in which"}, and I really really think you should check her out. Her writing will do your soul good.

Also recommended is Gift From the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh. My bestie, Shelley, loaned this to me AGES ago, but I'm just now getting to it.

It's such a beautiful little book. And it's amazing that she wrote it more than 50 years ago, but she was tackling so many things my friends and I still stress about.

I mean to lead a simple life...But I do not...For life today in America is based on the premise of ever-widening circles of contact and communication. It involves not only family demands, but community demands, national demands, international demands on the good citizen, through social and cultural pressures, through newspapers, magazines, radio programs, political drives, charitable appeals, and so on. My mind reels with it. What a circus act we women perform every day of our lives. It puts the trapeze artist to shame. Look at us. We run a tight rope daily, balancing a pile of books on the head.

And this was before Facebook! ;)

It's one of those books that makes you slow down, breathe more deeply, and remember the importance of reflection, solitude, and purposeful living.

So that's what I'll be reading this weekend. What about you?

2 comments:

  1. I am happy that someone else found Ann Morrow Lindberg's book. I usually give it to people at baby showers and marriages as it seems so appropriate most of the time. It's a book I try to read at least once/year.

    And I live in Texas too. (Except I'm not Texan!)
    all best
    liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! We're originally from Alabama, so I'm not sure when we'll officially become Texans. :)

      Delete

I'll respond to comments within 24 hours, so check the post again for follow-ups!

Read from the beginning...