Search No Faint Hearts

Loading...

Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Religio-Political Wonderings

Alternatively titled, "Things I'm Too Afraid to Post on Facebook." {Comments can get pretty heated on there, right?!}

So, these are random religious/political things I've been wondering about lately. Would love for you to chime in!

Wondering 1:
For my left-leaning friends...are you pleased with President Obama's performance so far? I've seen a fair amount of criticism from generally more liberal fronts, and I'm just curious how you've perceived this term.

For my right-leaning friends...how are you reconciling the idea of voting for a Mormon who lines up with you politically but not theologically? I'm especially curious {and, admittedly, a little troubled} about why people label some of his beliefs as "biblical."

Again, I'm not trying to start a fight. As your run of the mill, reformed news junkie, now somewhat apathetic and cynical libertarian/pacifist, I really am just curious about others' opinions. ;)

Wondering 2:
Job. Getting past the obvious "Why do bad things happen to good people?" question, so much of the book is spent describing God or what the speakers believe are His actions; yet, God takes them all to task at the end. So, are we to understand that everything they say about Him is false? Or are they just mistaken about Job's situation in particular?

Wondering 3:
Spiritual warfare. This term gets used a lot to describe a variety of life situations: sickness, church troubles, Frank Peretti-ish demons. How do we know what is spiritual warfare and what is just the trouble of this world? Do we overuse the term? If so, are there any dangers in that? 

Wondering 4:
This isn't as much of a wondering as it is an observation. I've been following the whole NC amendment/President Obama statement on gay marriage, and one thing really stood out to me. Rachel Held Evans weighed in today, and despite some good points from both sides of the debate, I had trouble getting past this quote: 
When asked by The Barna Group what words or phrases best describe Christianity, the top response among Americans ages 16-29 was “antihomosexual.” For a staggering 91 percent of non-Christians, this was the first word that came to their mind when asked about the Christian faith. The same was true for 80 percent of young churchgoers.
Seriously? No matter what your position is on this issue, friends, it is absolutely not OK that the first thing that people think of when they think Christian is anti-homosexual. Not OK.

So I think this should prompt all believers to ask, individually, "Am I doing something to contribute to that?" Is "anti-homosexual" the first word that comes to someone's mind when they think of me as a Christian? If so, that needs to change. 

What if we all strove for "love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, or self-control" to be the first thing that comes to people's minds when they think "Christian?" How would that change the debate or at least change the tone of the debate?


OK, that's what's been on my mind lately. What have you been wondering about?

4 comments:

  1. Great post.
    1. I'm disappointed that we can't get someone who has Christian beliefs and values in the White House for the next term.
    2. Charles Stanley said that we have to think of God having a big sieve. He allows some things to get through and others he stops. Sometimes bad things are consequences of bad actions though and that comes from free will.
    3. We don't know when it's spiritual warfare. We have to trust God and be obedient. That's where faith comes in.
    4. I think as a Christian that our first word should be forgiveness. Not many religions promote that. Whatever someone is struggling with is between them and God. Love the person not what they are doing. We all have faults. I do think that many people who say they are Christians do not read the bible and are taking their views such as anti-homosexual from the media and not what Jesus taught. God also doesn't like divorce that doesn't mean we're condemned if we get divorced. Let's face it no one likes it.
    That's my two cents worth. I expect with our economy in such a mess the two cents are probably only worth one cent though!!!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with "Cozy" on #4. As a christian, I believe the first word that should be associated with us is love. It's right on the money to say you love the person but not what they do. There are lots of sinners and sins in this world. Part of Christianity is admitting and confessing your sins and continually admitting and confessing you are not perfect. No one is. When I get to heaven, I want God to remember my love for others around me and showing them that being a christian is not about hate. It's about the fruits of the spirit you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5/11/2012

    Tiffany, I think that you would find Pope John Paul II's Theology of the Body a fascinating read. Contrary to what one might think, this is not a book of catholic doctrine, but rather a book of solid Christian doctrine which explains how God has designed the body in such a way that it exemplifies and mirrors the entire gospel and both testaments. It's quite interesting to reflect upon and a worthwhile read. For those who might find it a little daunting (Though I have no fear that you will.) Mr. Christopher West paraphrases it in a little more reader-friendly way, in a book by the same name.
    Happy Days, Tiffany!
    Leah
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, y'all! Great points (and I always appreciate book recs). :)

    On a side note, Ann, I literally LOLed about your two cents remark. I might have to steal that one!

    ReplyDelete

I'll respond to comments within 24 hours, so check the post again for follow-ups!

Read from the beginning...