Search No Faint Hearts

Loading...

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Seattle: Day One (and a blog update)

We're in cloudy Seattle! Jason is presenting at a conference here, so I'm tagging along.

We've already taken tons of pictures, so I thought I'd go ahead and start sharing.

Quick housekeeping note first, though. I'm going to be combining my blogs as soon as I can, um, figure out how. Not sure how that will work, so if you want to keep keeping up, be sure to go ahead and follow me at http://tiffanynorris.blogspot.com as well. I'll keep you posted as that develops, though.

On to the pictures!

We got here late yesterday and checked out a place called Local 360, where all their food comes from within 360 miles of Seattle. It was delicious! I had the cooked greens and mac and cheese. Then we got up early this morning (but it still felt late to us--thanks, Pacific time!) and headed to the mothership...the original Starbucks...



I haven't had coffee in five months, so I savored that {decaf} pumpkin spice latte! Then we toured around the waterfront and took in the Pike Place Market. Such a cool area--little shops {fish, flowers, pepper jelly!} and street performers {playing the piano and the cello and making balloon animals}.

 






A few odd sightings. We spotted some goats on a hill in the middle of the city. They were for rent, and they had a goat puppy guarding them...



 There was also a gum wall, which was pretty disgusting but kind of cool, too...



Then we stumbled onto what we thought might be an Occupy Seattle protest but turned out to be a Today Show taping with Kathie Lee Gifford...




After wandering around a bit longer, we grabbed some lunch at The Fisherman's, which was right on the water, and played a four-player Pac-Man game.



First impressions: the city has a fun, diverse, cool vibe that sort of reminded us of Austin--but bigger. We LOVE the grey skies and light drizzle. I could be wrong, but I don't think I would ever get tired of that weather.



We're also pleased with our hotel, which is within walking distance of a lot of this stuff, and has been around for more than 100 years. There are some odd things...like the radiator (the heat comes through it on a timing system) and the sink.


But we (OK, I) really love the tub and the towel sculptures (an elephant!).


Finally, gotta represent--even on vacation. Go Rangers!

Tomorrow...more on the NAPCE conference and hanging out at Seattle Pacific University. (Hint--I'm spending a lot of time at the library.)


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10/21/2011

    Enjoy yourselves COMPLETELY. You've both been working so hard.
    Happy (misty) Days !
    Leah

    ReplyDelete

I'll respond to comments within 24 hours, so check the post again for follow-ups!

Read from the beginning...