Search No Faint Hearts

Loading...

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Blockbuster Books, Funnies and Not-So-Funnies

I walked into our neighborhood Blockbuster last week and noticed that they are now selling books. I suppose they're all movie tie-ins or inspirations, but it still seemed...odd. Of course, I'm a compartmentalized kind of person. Thoughts? Perhaps this will be next?

Yes, President Obama won the Nobel Prize...but what about the Ig Noble awards? I think this might be my husband's kind of research!

This picture gave me another giggle.

Not making me giggle, meanwhile, is the news that Emory libraries are cutting 29 positions. On the flip side, I was intrigued with the idea of consolidating service desks into a "one-stop information center." Thoughts on this? Too much like Wal-Mart, or would it actually provide better service?

More magazines are also shutting down...

An article extolling Google Books, which I love-love-love...

And one on Edith Wharton and Paris, a city which I did not love when I visited more than 10 years ago. I'd be willing to give it another shot if someone wants to send me, though. :)

Finally, a follow-up to the report about the class differences between Facebook and MySpace users. I am intrigued by this idea!

I'm also intrigued by the books I'm currently reading, but I'm taking my time and savoring them...thus making rather slow progress. We'll chat again later this week, though. Hope yours is off to a good start!

3 comments:

  1. The picture of the book drop was great. So what are you reading?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the library news Tiffany!!!

    I totally agree with the MySpace/Facebook article and I love the google books article. I began dreaming of owning power-up stations for electric cars then I saw the 1919 date!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should definitely give Paris another chance. I know I was less than pleased with Rome the first time I visited, but came to my senses on subsequent trips.

    ReplyDelete

I'll respond to comments within 24 hours, so check the post again for follow-ups!

Read from the beginning...