Search No Faint Hearts

Loading...

Monday, June 22, 2009

Summer Lovin'

When I was growing up, summer was my hands-down favorite season. I think it had something to do with being out of school, spending the days riding bikes and swimming and spending the nights reading and watching baseball.

I think my dislike of summer started somewhere around the time of my first internship in college--when I spent the days getting coffee for reporters and covering intern-worthy news stories and the nights going out to dinner and doing other grown-up-ish sorts of things.

Summer and I enjoyed a brief reunion during 2006, when I was working as a school librarian and only worked part-time during the summer. But I was married then and didn't have cable, so the swimming, sunning and baseball-watching just didn't come together in the same way.

Since moving to Texas, the land of the seven-month summers and copious triple-digit days, my dislike has grown to the point of hatred. I don't like the heat, the sweat, the clothes, the drastic change from frigid AC-controlled buildings and cars to wet-blanket outdoors. Blech.

However, one of my pet peeves is when people complain about the weather. It's the weather--what are you gonna do? I love this quote from John Ruskin I saw on Ashley's blog:

Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.

Generally, I wholeheartedly agree with this and try to act like it. :) But I've developed a bad attitude about summer. So, in order to combat this, I've been making a list of the things I really do like about summer.

So, in case you're needing some summer lovin', too, here you go:

Summer dress code--tops on the list this year. Where I work, we normally have to wear skirts or dresses (except on Fridays). This summer, we can break out the pants any day of the week. Woohoo! Ironically, this has actually made me dress more professionally. Instead of wearing all my skirts and dresses, I'm able to choose the more professional items and leave the more casual ones for the weekend.

Summer food--fresh fruits and veggies (tomatoes, watermelons, strawberries, cherries, cantaloupe, peppers); cilantro thrown into everything; cornbread, beans and buttermilk for supper, as much lemonade as you can drink, a shaved ice or Sonic cream slush for dessert...summer feasts! Yum!




Summer music--Centerfield (John Fogerty), Boys of Summer (Don Henley), Summer Breeze (Seals & Crofts), anything by Sheryl Crow, campy Beach Boys music, some local Alabama stuff that reminds me of summers at home. It's hard to stay irked with the heat when you've got some good tunes going.

Summer reading--Maggie's Southern Reading Challenge, the Fort Worth Public Library's Summer Reading Challenge (see my first prize? ha). Maybe I still have a lingering perception that I have more time to read in the summer, too.




Summer sports-baseball, running and swimming. Where the sunshine and longer days come in handy. I think I could spend every. single. night at the ballfield. Any ballfield. So relaxing. We might even make it to a Cats game next month.

So, there you have it. Summer and I are pals again. But I can't guarantee we'll be speaking in August.

6 comments:

  1. Love this! I'm trying to make friends with summer again too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same pet peeve about the weather complainers. News flash: it's going to be hot and humid in Alabama in the summer. Don't act surprised when it comes around at the same time every year. Just like if I lived in Alaska, I wouldn't be like, "Snow? In December? Didn't see that coming!"

    Unfortunately, I have the same hatred for winter that you have for summer. I just don't enjoy bundling up, everything being dead and brown, and the lack of daylight. It's depressing to me. So, in the winter, you will have to encourage me. But for now, a few more things to add to your summer "likes" list:

    -homemade ice cream
    -Chilton Co. peaches (sorry you can't get those in TX)!
    -Vitamin D
    -blond highlights in your hair
    -no itchy dry skin
    -anticipating fall football
    -LESS TRAFFIC!
    -going to the movies on blistering days and getting cold because they keep the a/c cranked. It's a refreshing change from all the sweating.
    -snow cone/summer snow stands
    -grilling out
    -July 4th fireworks
    -summer reading
    -flip flops
    -lemon pies or any other cool, refreshing desserts....

    ok, I'll stop now...but let me know if you need more on a bad day. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to look on the bright side! I totally agree with you...every year my hatred of summer seems to be getting greater and greater! Although there are good things about it-I just don't like it! Some people live for summer, but not me I love over cast, snowy, breezy days any time of the year! I guess I am just a FREAK! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tesney-amen! Lemon ice box pie and flip flops are two more of my favorite summer staples!
    Becky-I'm with you on the overcast weather. Jason and I have even talked about moving to Seattle...partly for all the rain and gray skies. ha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. I seem to eventually get tired of every season but for Fall and Spring.

    I also think working and not getting that break we got when we were younger goes a long way for making summer less fun. :-) Those were the days...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since I hate wearing shoes of any kind (except flip flops), I love the "barefootness" of summer.

    Tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes: perfectly ripe and warm from the garden, sliced on a plate; firm green 'maters dredged in cornmeal and fried up crispy; gazpacho; vegetable soup made with home-canned tomatoes, corn and sliced okra...

    Georgia peaches. :)

    Spending the day outside, getting sweaty and grimy, then showering and meeting friends for dinner al fresco. Love that tingly, warm and clean feeling that you only feel on a summer's late afternoon.

    ReplyDelete

I'll respond to comments within 24 hours, so check the post again for follow-ups!

Read from the beginning...