Search No Faint Hearts

Loading...

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

It Ain't Over 'Til...What?!

Why is it that I keep getting hooked on television shows only to find that they have terrible series finales?


Last night, Jason and I finished up "Star Trek: Enterprise." (Hey, no judging--it's actually a pretty good show--and Scott Bakula doesn't look too shabby in his uniform--haha.) Anyway, I have really enjoyed this one, and I had high hopes for its finale.

Biggest disappointment since "Alias."

In fact, we no longer speak of the last episode of "Alias" in our house. The only reason I'm bringing it up now is to support my point here.


With both shows, I was left with this feeling of "What?!" and a desire to throw things at the television. In fact, I've also been tempted to just make up my own ending to replace the one the otherwise clever writers botched.


Just to be clear, I don't believe all tv shows, movies or books have to have a happy ending or a neatly-packaged wrap-up where everyone finds a soul mate and saves the world. However, the final show should be consistent with the rest of the series, and it should be worthy of the audience that has tuned in faithfully for years.

Good examples--Felicity, Gilmore Girls, Newhart, The Mary Tyler Moore Show
Bad examples--Seinfeld, The Sopranos and the afore-mentioned Alias and Star Trek

So, there's my vent for the day. What are YOUR best/worst finales?

1 comment:

  1. I second the Felicity and Sopranos remarks, and I LOVED the Friends finale.

    ReplyDelete

I'll respond to comments within 24 hours, so check the post again for follow-ups!

Read from the beginning...